Thursday, January 02, 2014

Cinderella Photos and Story


A big thank you to Sarah Sobczak for sharing the Cinderella's Glass Slipper 1960 photos and story (July 2013). I remember those events; after reading the article I see I was one of the 6,000+ little girls who waited in line to try on the glass slipper

I had thought the event was held at J.L. Hudson, as I remember standing in a line which wrapped around several blocks and buildings downtown maybe Hudson's was one of those mammoth buildings.  I remember walking into a large auditorium and sitting down to be "fitted with the shoe." I was only 4 or 5 years old at the time, so my memory wasn't detailed. I do remember the consolation gift was a 9" beautiful doll encased in a plastic bell shaped enclosure. Those are still keepsakes, five years worth that I do cherish.

I would love to hear or read an even more detailed account of this event in Detroit's history. 

Thank you to Eileen for continuing to compile these fond Detroit memories, they truly are treasures to maintain.

Dianne Zak
St. Ladislaus HS, 1974

CLICK HERE to view the photos of the Cinderella's Glass Slipper.

NOTE: A consolation prize of an 8" doll 'dressed to the nines' enclosed in a plastic bell-shaped container was given to those whose foot did not fit the shoe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment